Wednesday, February 10, 2016

[Review] Gifted Thief

Gifted Thief (Highland Magic #1)

by Helen Harper


Publish date: January 29, 2015
Genre: New Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy
Rating: 4/5

Goodreads summary

Orphan. Runaway. Thief.

Since the moment I was ripped from my mother's womb, I've been an outcast amongst my own kind. The Sidhe might possess magical Gifts, unbelievable wealth and unfathomable power but I don't want a thing to do with them. I ran away from their lands in the Highlands of Scotland when I was eleven years old and I've never looked back. I don't need a Clan. I've got my own family of highly skilled thieves who mean more to me than any Sidhe ever could.


Unfortunately for me, the playboy heir to the Moncrieffe Clan has something I desperately need. To get it back, I'm going to have to plunge myself back into that world, no matter what the consequences may be. I suppose it's just as well I have sense of humour. I think I'm going to need it.



My thoughts


Not too long ago, I stumbled upon Helen Harper's Blood Destiny series and absolutely fell in love with it. I became a fan of Ms. Harper from that moment on. Needless to say, I jumped at the chance to get a copy of Gifted Thief and I was not disappointed. 

Gifted Thief is the story of Integrity, an outcast is the harsh world of the Sidhe. The story starts off with her 11-year-old self running away from her miserable life as a servant. Soon, she meets Taylor, who becomes a parent figure, and over the next few years she finds a family of misfits and thieves to call her own. 

I really loved Integrity because she's independent, smart, sassy and will do anything within her power to keep her family together. She was always an outcast with her own people, but I love the fact that she still managed to find a family of her own.  She doesn't take an shit, but she's willing to step up to her responsibilities as the last surviving member of the Adair clan.  And she does it with mouthy sarcasm the entire way. My kind of girl. *swoons*

Our other main character, Byron, is very interesting. He seems to be one of the few Sidhe who actually cares what happens to Integrity, for no other reason than he's just a good person, errr, fae. There's definitely a connection between the two, and I think it will develop into more later on, but in Gifted Thief the story does not revolve around the romance (thank the stars). The story focuses on Integrity and her growth as a member of Sidhe society.  

There's only one thing I thought could be improved. I would like to have seen more explanation to the world Integrity lived in. I was very confused as to the divide between Scotland and the rest of the world, or at least I think that's how it worked. I'm not really sure. All I know is that it's there and it's almost impenetrable

**Recommended for older teens and up as there are a few raunchy bits. 

** I was provided a copy of this book through Netgalley in return for an honest review

Get it here

No comments:

Post a Comment